My humble quest to build La Petite Maison!

Friday, April 25, 2014

Art in a Tiny House


Art in a tiny house is not a common topic, but I think it’s an important subject. Now, I am no art aficionado. I’m 13. But I do find things beautiful (as most of us do). In a tiny house there is not much wall space, especially if you have lots of windows (as I do). But there is always space. So take a moment right now to find that place on your wall that is begging for a painting or picture. We all have that space, so go find yours.

Once you find the blank space, the next step is finding art. However, do not buy a painting for the sake of having something on your wall. This defeats the purpose of art. In my home, I have four pieces of art. I have my dad’s boating license:

 



A picture of the boat he captained:

 


A souvenir from my TED Talk in New Orleans:

 


And a melted crayon portrait:

 


(I have made about a thousand of these; if you would like a tutorial comment down below)

These paintings/pictures/memorabilia/souvenirs make me extremely happy every time I see them. I also think they fit perfectly into my home. There is a quote by William Morris that says, “Have nothing in your home that is neither useful nor beautiful.” I believe this is a rule to live by in a tiny house.


Just to reiterate, bigger is not always better. If you have a blank wall, you don’t need fill it up with meaningless pictures. Tell a story with your space. Size doesn't matter (hehe) so find something that makes you happy.

Tell me; do you have any pieces of art you absolutely love? Is there a picture or painting you’ve had for a long time? Tell me in the comments.

8 comments:

  1. I have lots of little things in my housetruck, mostly things connected to special people in my life -- a button with a photo of a friend who passed away, a stained-glass rainbow from another friend now passed, bells from my grandmother, a micro-canvas of a cat's eye, a scrap of wood painted with a Dali-inspired treehouse, a little house made of clay, an encaustic painting of a raven in flight, a little ceramic pot with some clear marbles in it that came out of a dream. Nothing's bigger than 3x3", I'd guess, so it all fits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound really cool, and perfect for your home! You don't need large things to represent people who have had a big impact on your life.

      Delete
  2. How appropriate to have his US Coast Guard license to remember your father by. Those who work on the waters are a special breed and they always know how to improvise when needed which is obviously a trait he passed down to you. Congrats from a retired Coast Guard officer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My dad was a fisherman, through and through, and I love to have these things of his in my house. The window in the loft is salvaged from his fishing vessel.

      Delete
  3. I'd like to know how you made the melted crayon art. Could you email me the tutorial? It sounds like a great project. Much appreciated.

    Patricia
    paduglas@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and I would love the tutorial for the melted crayon art! Are you an unschooler by any chance? :) We are and currently reside in Hawaii where the tiny house movement is taking off with flying colors! We may move again to Florida in a year or two... My email is: alohiwarrior@gmail.com
    Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much)
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a ton of useful information in this article. I loved the witty writing style. I also found some useful information here https://homesidingcolorado.com/index.php/financing/. Keep up the good work and I will check back later for other articles.

    ReplyDelete